Thursday, December 25, 2008

Shifty Eggs, and More Reasons to Eat Your Anti-Oxidants

Check out this article from Dr. Jonny Bowden: Scrambled Eggs at the Buffet? Not So Fast!

Apparently, once you break up the yolks in eggs and expose them to air, the otherwise-not-bad-for-you cholesterol starts to oxidize and turn into actually-bad-for-you cholesterol. And the longer the exposure to air, the worse they get.

Luckily, I eat my scrambled eggs as soon as they're cooked so that they're nice and hot, but this information sorta sucks, since scrambled is the only way I trust restaurants to get my eggs the way I like them. (And even then, I get sick of choking down eggs for breakfast. I was always a bacon and home fries only kinda girl.)

Merry Christmas, everyone! One more thing to worry about!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I dont know where I should post this. So I will try here. Have you looked at carb timing? I will never stop doing it.
About the eggs.....If you are eating store bought generic eggs, then you need to worry about the bigger things than oxidized fat from a buffet. If you are eating farm fresh bug eating chicken eggs and your diet is rich in veggies and quality foods then by all means, take it to the next level by preventing your fat from oxidizing. I for one, would not eat at a buffet that had a pile of eggs laying around under a hot lamp.
tamnmark@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Kinda of makes me wonder about outcomes from using different products? Is the oxidation slower if the yolks are mixed with water or milk? How about egg beaters or products of that nature??

Also, regarding the brussel sprouts, I was more concerned about the fat used in frying up the sprouts in oil than the heating process. If I'm not mistaken, most foods lose a small amount of nutrients in the cooking process.

Tracey said...

ETL: Yeah, I'm not sure what types of things affect the oxidation process. This article is the first I've ever heard of this phenomenon.

As far as the brussels sprouts thing goes, I'm almost totally unconcerned about dietary fat (with the exception of trans fat) as long as I'm avoiding large quantities of carbs. The body doesn't store the fat unless there's an abundance of insulin caused by high blood sugar.