Thursday, August 12, 2010

A New Twist on Green Eggs (With or Without the Ham)

Want to shake up the traditional deviled egg and double up on healthy fats at the same time? Well, the same Mark's Daily Apple post that led me to the weirdest hard-boiled egg-peeling technique ever also contained a link to this recipe for Fat Guacamole Devils.


Photobucket

For my version (pictured above), I didn't have any hot sauce available, so I added more traditional ingredients to my avocado, using Kelly the Kitchen Kop's guacamole recipe for inspiration. And it was so easy! Just peel 4-6 hard-boiled eggs, slice them in half lengthwise, and throw the yolks into a bowl with the scooped-out flesh of one ripe avocado:


Photobucket

Then, add desired guacamole-ish ingredients. I chose sea salt, garlic, chopped red onion, chopped fresh cilantro from my herb garden, and a few squirts of lime juice:


Photobucket

Mash it all up with a fork:


Photobucket

And scoop the mixture back into the eggs. Fin!

Using only 4 eggs with one whole avocado, this yielded enough extra guacamole to serve on the side with some veggies. Put it out at a party, and your guests will never know the secret ingredient to your deliciously rich guacamole is egg yolks! (Just don't tell your vegan friends.)